Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009 - Richard W. Doray, USMC

Bronze Star Medal

Description
A bronze star 1 ½ inches in circumscribing diameter. In the center thereof is a 3/16-inch diameter superimposed bronze star, the center line of all rays of both stars coinciding. The reverse has the inscription "HEROIC OR MERITORIOUS ACHIEVEMENT" and a space for the name of the recipient to be engraved. The star is suspended from the ribbon by a rectangular shaped metal loop with the corners rounded.

Ribbon
The ribbon is 1 3/8 inches wide.

Criteria
The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the military of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. Awards may be made for acts of heroism, performed under circumstances described above, which are of lesser degree than required for the award of the Silver Star. Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or meritorious service.

3 comments:

  1. I only know about this because I came across this clipping while looking through family genealogy stuff. Someday I'll write and acquire his service record; but not yet.
    My Dad doesn't talk about his experience. His way of telling me about Vietnam was giving me a novel about the war on one of my birthdays. It's very strange. At the VA, the WWII guys want to talk but the Vietnam guys don't.
    In my selfish way of thinking, these Vets have the right to say what they want, believe as they will, and live out their lives according to the dictates of their own consciences. But they have no right to steal away the disclosure of the sacrifices they made. If they do, then those of us who follow will never know the cost of liberty or the price of freedom. And being ignorant of the worth, we will take for granted the gift and eventually squander it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rick,

    Your dad was my Senior Drill Instructor in 1973 at Parris Island. He was an outstanding Marine. I would be interested in hearing what he has done with his life since 73. I have a few bootcamp pics if you would like them also. You can write me at poolerfisherman@live.com.

    V C Huey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick,

    Your dad was my AMOI at Holy Cross from 75-77. He was the finest Marine I ever knew, and I have tried to find a way on the internet to get in touch with him, even if it to tell him how fond I have always been of him and how I valued his friendship/leadership. I think of him often and have prayed that he is well. If you don't object, please let me know how I can get in touch with him. My email address is: ckoenigsr911@comcast.net. many thanks for anything you might be able to do. God Bless.

    Chris Koenig Holy Cross '78

    ReplyDelete